Turf Replacement Program
City of Kingsburg water customers may be eligible for a rebate when they convert their existing grass area with any qualifying artificial turf products or drought tolerant landscape products. The rebate amount may not exceed $3,000 per residential or commercial City of Kingsburg water account. Funding is limited and applications will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. The City reserves the right to terminate this program at any time and for any reason.
Outdoor landscaping is the single largest use of water in a typical California home. In most yards, grass consumes the most water, therefore reducing or eliminating how much grass you have can significantly reduce your water use.
Rebate Program Guidelines
Offer available November 1, 2021, thru June 30, 2022, and subject to funding availability
Submitted applications are still being processed.
At this time we have received rebate applications that have exceeded the allotted funding for this program. Applications submitted after 12/1/2021 are currently on a waitlist unless previously notified.
How to Apply
1. Obtain an application using one of the following methods:
- Telephone: (559) 897-1066
- Click here for application and program guidelines
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2.Send the completed application, photos of the current landscape, list of proposed plants and a sketch of proposed conversion to one of the following:
City of Kingsburg
Attention: Water Division – Rebate Program
1401 Draper Street, Kingsburg, CA 93631
b. Email: email@example.com
3. A City of Kingsburg representative will contact you to schedule a brief appointment to verify your existing landscape review your application and discuss guidelines.
*Do not begin your conversion until the rebate has been approved after the pre-inspection and you receive a notice to proceed
- Residential and Commercial City of Kingsburg customers who pay a water utility bill to the City of Kingsburg.
- Customer accounts that are in good standing.
- Tenants who provide written approval from the property owner or property manager.
- Area to be converted must have grass or traditional sprinklers intact at the Pre-Inspection appointment in order to qualify for the rebate.
- New homes with existing drought tolerant landscape or unfinished yards are not eligible.
- Project must be a minimum of 250 sq-FT and maximum of 1500 sq-FT.
- Program applies to turf replaced between 11/1/2021 thru 6/30/2022.
- A pre-inspection will be scheduled once the application has been received.
- After approval of pre-inspection, you will have 60 days to complete the conversion of your existing landscaping, which will be indicated in the Notice to Proceed Letter.
- Once completed, contact the City of Kingsburg at 559-897-1066 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule the post-inspection.
- Itemized dated sales receipts for the products used in the conversion are required at the post-inspection.
- If not approved at inspection, you have 30 days to make corrections and to schedule a final inspection.
- Project must be completed by 6/30/2022.
- Turf replacement must be drought tolerant and permeable (allow water to penetrate into the ground) and must include California friendly and drought tolerant plants- 4 minimum per 100 sq FT.
- Applicant must provide a simple sketch of the proposed landscape, as well as photos of the existing landscape.
- When replacing turf, irrigation system must be capped, eliminated or converted to drip.
- Turf replacement must be maintained and kept in healthy condition for a minimum of 5 years.
- Turf replacement must be installed within the City of Kingsburg service area and at the address listed on the application.
- Applicants must provide a list of proposed plants with the application.
- If only part of the lawn is converted, the new planting area must be on a separate valve.
- Turf replacements that include only mulch, gravel, rocks or just artificial turf are not eligible.
- Existing artificial turf, new construction, accessories, and taxes do not qualify. Reimbursement is for products used in the conversion. Labor cost will be capped at 50% of the total drought material cost.
- Rebate checks will be mailed within 8 weeks after completing the rebate process.
- Rebate amount cannot exceed the cost of the products used in the conversion. Dated, itemized sales receipts are required at the post-inspection.
- Rebates are limited to $3,000 per eligible utility billing account per fiscal year (November 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022). $2 per Sq Ft- turf replacement 1,500 sq ft max.
Application and Rebate Approval or Denial
- On-site compliance verification is required.
- Original itemized, dated sales receipt for the products used in the conversion area is required at the post-inspection
- Incomplete, incorrect, or unsigned applications cannot be processed. We will contact you with any discrepancies and may require you to submit a new application.
- Customer must fulfill all program guidelines to be eligible for rebates.
- The Rebate Program is not responsible for materials lost by mail.
- The City is not liable, responsible nor will warrant any work done with any reimbursed funds.
- Submission or possession of a rebate application does not guarantee receiving a rebate.
- Rebates are processed on a first come, first served basis.
- Photos of the project site may be used for printed or digital promotional material.
- Funding for this rebate program is limited to available resources.
- Rebate amounts are subject to change without notification.
- This program shall at all times be subject to change or termination without prior notice